San Miniato … The City of the Truffle
San Miniato, rising on a hill in Tuscany, is a city rich in history and art. That the site was suitable for living in harmony with the environment was well known to the Etruscans and the Romans who settled here, attracted by the abundant available groundwater and the healthy habitat, isolated from the diseases of the valley swamplands. In the centuries that followed, emperors and kings chose San Minato for their residences and made the city’s fortunes.
Still today, San Miniato expresses a perfect balance between nature and history. Its citizens – hospitable, outspoken and wryly humorous – live in harmony with nature and appreciate the good things in life, genuine products, and fine cuisine.
The fertile soil of San Miniato’s woodlands is the custodian of the precious White Truffle (Tuber magnatum Pico), the ‘white gold’ of the table.
Every year, beginning on 10 September – opening day of the San Miniato White Truffle harvest – expert truffle hunters and their dogs vie to find these ‘diamonds of the earth’. And each of them hopes to beat the record set by Arturo Gallerini, who in 1954 found a truffle weighing 2520 grams, still today the largest ever uncovered.
National White Truffle Market Fair
San Miniato hosts one of Italy’s most prestigious White Truffle festivals.
During the last three weekends in November, when the precious subterranean fungus achieves full maturity and the height of its aroma and flavour, the medieval city becomes the Italian capital of the White Truffle. In the historic centre and at locations extending more than two kilometres into the outlying areas, famous chefs preside at Italy’s most important open-air taste workshop. The offer includes not just truffles, but the finest excellences of Italy’s agri-food system.
For information about the event:
Info: 0571.42745 / San Miniato Promozione / Information Office
- ‘I giorni del Tartufo’, Marzolo Truffle Market Fair in Cigoli: third weekend of March
- ‘La Notte Nera’, Black Truffle festival in mid-June
- ‘Festa del Tartufo Bianco’ in La Serra: last weekend of September
- ‘Fiera Mercato del Tartufo Bianco’ in Corazzano: first weekend of Octobrr
- ‘Festa del Tartufo di Balconevisi’: third weekend of October
- ‘Sagra del Tartufo Bianco’ in Pomte a Egola: last weekend of October
- ‘Sagra del Tartufo Bianco’ in San Miniato Basso: first weekend of November