Join us to share in the excitement of a truffle hunt!
L‘Oasi del Tartufo di San Miniato con i suoi 7 ettari di terreno vocato al tartufo ti offre la possibilità di un’escursione esclusiva,
The Oasi del Tartufo di San Miniato, with its 7 hectares of truffle grounds, offers visitors the opportunity to enjoy exclusive individual or group excursions in search of truffles, guided by expert truffle hunters and their skilled dogs.
The sandy soils along the shady, flat banks of the stream in a holm oak and oak woodland are particularly suited to the White Truffle, while the hilly area is ideal for the Black Truffle. This means that truffles can be harvested here in every season.
The guided truffle-hunting demonstration in detail
You may choose to participate in this absorbing activity alone with your guide or as part of a group.
The demonstration lasts about one and one-half hours; you may choose the time you prefer, between 8 a.m. and sunset.
An expert truffle hunter will accompany you on your excursion and answer any questions you may have about the quality of the soil, the type of woodland, the different types of truffles and the dog’s behaviour.
The Oasi del Tartufo lands are a natural truffle ground. The aim of the demonstration is to give participants a taste of the atmosphere that surrounds this purposeful walk in the woods, the beauty of the ambiance, the tension that grows as the dog catches the scent.
We ‘plant’ truffles before each excursion in order to guarantee that our guests’ experience will be complete and satisfying. As any hunter knows, it is impossible to guarantee that on a given day one will sight one’s prey – and the same is true for finding a truffle!
The dog is the star of the excursion: all eyes are on him as he leads the hunt. The truffle dogs at the Oasi del Tartufo are all Lagotto or Meticcio Sanminiatese breeds. These able hunters guide the group, their sensitive noses to the ground near the trees in search of treasure.
Excitement peaks when the dog catches the scent of the truffle where the soil gives off an intense aroma, perhaps even stronger than the truffle itself. The dog begins to wag its tail and to dig to alert its master, who then steps in, using his special vanghino spade to dig delicately at the point shown to him by the dog before extracting the truffle with his hands. The hunter never forgets to reward his faithful companion with a treat and affectionate caresses. The aroma of a truffle just prised from the earth is indescribable, a marvel not to be missed, never to be forgotten.
- Excursions may be individual or in groups of up to fifteen to ensurfe that everyone will enjoy a satisfying truffle-hunting experience.
- The paths, on flat or gently hilly terrain, are easy to walk for any participant.
- Since the excursion takes you through a woodland, we advise wearing suitable outdoor clothing and shoes. In the fall, remember to bring rain gear.
- Foreign-language participants may request the services of an interpreter.
- Most of the dogs that lead the truffle hunt are of the Lagotti and Meticci Sanminiatesi breeds.
- We will be happy to book a post-excursion tasting session, lunch or dinner for you at associated local agri-tourist centres or restaurants.
- The Oasi del Tartufo offers truffles for sale at market prices.
Truffle hunting demonstration: prices
The cost of the ninety-minute truffle hunting excursion is €60 per person (2-person minimum). There is no charge for children under 18 if accompanied by an adult. For group excursions, price to be agreed based on the number of participants.
Interpreters are available for foreign clients. The cost of the service will vary according to the language and will be agreed in advance.